COSTA RICA—INTERNATIONAL TOURISM: MULTICULTURAL ISSUES AND IMPACTS
Explore Costa Rica while learning about international tourism in an experiential environment. Through on-site visits, selected texts and readings, students will experience the social, cultural, and environmental impacts of tourism in Costa Rica. Students will also examine the development and meaning of ecotourism, alternative tourism, adventure, natural, cultural and heritage tourism options particular to Costa Rica. In addition to theoretical knowledge, students will be presented with experiential learning opportunities in commercial adventure recreation involving hiking, whitewater rafting, zip lining, kayaking and exploring jungles of Costa Rica. In addition to abundant physical activity, students will interact with the local communities and learn about being responsible tourists and stewards of the natural world.
Early registration is strongly encouraged. Proof of a valid passport is required prior to the trip. Any disability requiring special attention must be reported to the instructor.
||Dr. Jason Whiting
Department of Recreation Administration
The fee of $3,395 includes:
Fresno State tuition, 3 units of credit
Round-trip flights from Los Angeles to Costa Rica
Airport transfers to lodging
Nine days shared lodging, quad room
Three meals a day on most days
Land and water transportation
Licensed local guides
24/7 Emergency support
Your passport, meals on air travel days, spending money.
- Thursday, January 18, 12:30-1:30 pm, PHS 110
- Tuesday, January 23, 11:30 am - 12:30 pm, PHS 129
- Thursday, January 25, 5:00-6:00 pm, PHS 129
See instructor for required pre-departure orientations at Fresno State.
Registration & Fee Payment
All participants in this program must register for credit, including non-matriculated individuals.
Course fee is $3,395.
Students are responsible for paying EF the program price and Fresno State the Tuition.
EF offers flexible and convenient payment options to help participants choose when and how they want to pay the program price.
Option 1: Pay in full upon enrollment - Free
- Payment methods accepted: ATM/debit card, personal check or credit card. (Card must display the Visa or MasterCard logo.)
Option 2: Automatic Payment Plan - Free
- $95 non-refundable deposit paid upon registration. Payments are automatically deducted from a checking account or a debit/ATM card.
- Choose payment frequency:
- o Monthly payments based on a preferred date
- o Bi-weekly payments on a preferred weekday
- Payment methods accepted: ATM/debit card or checking account only. (Card must display the Visa or MasterCard logo.)
Option 3: Manual Payment Plan - $50 plan fee
- Pay in larger manual installments.
- Payment methods accepted: Visa or MasterCard, ATM/debit card/credit card or personal checks.
- Payment schedule:
- o $95 non-refundable deposit due upon registration
- o $500 due 30 days after enrollment
- o $500 due 90 days after enrollment
- o Remaining balance due 95 days prior to departure
EF’s program pricing is rolling, with the best price guaranteed for participants that enroll early. The program price and discount is valid for the month of August. Once a traveler enrolls, they lock in their program price (unless it happens to go down, in which case we will adjust enrolled travelers’ balances to the new best price). The program price will be reevaluated every month, and it is possible this program price may increase.
You will need to register both with Education First (EF) online (see below) and with Fresno State (use registration form in this brochure) for your registration to be complete.
To lock in your EF price and hold your place, you may register NOW with Education First; go to this website: www.efcst.com/1968918FX
Click on “Enroll Now” and you will be taken directly to the site.
EF Refund Schedule
- 150 days or more prior to departure Full refund less the $95 non-refundable deposit, all non-refundable fees, and a $300 cancellation fee.
- 149 to 95 days prior to departure Full refund less the $95 non-refundable deposit, all non-refundable fees, and a $500 cancellation fee.
- 94 to 45 days prior to departure Full refund less the $95 non-refundable deposit, all non-refundable fees, and 50% of the program price.
- 44 days or less prior to departure No refund will be issued.
- You can find EF’s booking conditions easily on their website at: http://www.efcollegestudytours.com/eliterature/bookingconditions_cst_18.pdf
- February 9, 2018. Tuition of $870 due to Fresno State.
- It is important to understand that you are undertaking a serious contractual obligation when you register for your travel study program. Starting on February 9, 2018, you are responsible for all your Fresno State travel study program fees of $870, which will be posted to your account even if you withdraw from the program.
- Make check payable to “Fresno State”. Note: all fees are subject to change.
CGE Refund Schedule
If you withdraw from the program, you will be eligible for a full refund of your CGE tuition if you withdraw before February 9, 2018. Beginning February 9, 2018, no refunds will be made. If you withdraw from the program on or after February 9, 2018, the university will place a hold on your student account and require you to pay the full amount of tuition fees ($870) for the travel study program. Further, you will be unable to register in future Fresno State classes until this financial obligation is paid in full.
International Travel Grants
Travel Grants are available for qualified Fresno State students. Contact the instructor for more information.
Participants in this program must have a valid passport. Those needing a U.S. Passport can apply in the Continuing and Global Education office, located in Kremen Education Building, Room 130.