Independent Study Abroad-Non-Fresno State Program
Who should apply?All Fresno State students studying outside of the United States on an independent program that will produce academic credit are required to register their travel with the Fresno State Study Abroad Office.
This includes, but is not limited to the following activities not listed under the search programs tab of this website:
- Independent study abroad programs and exchanges
- Independent internships abroad
- Independent group trips with a faculty member
- Independent work-study abroad
Mandatory Student Health/Travel InsuranceAll Fresno State students who study abroad are required to hold travel/health insurance while abroad. If your program is not offering for you to purchase Student Health/Travel Insurance, you may purchase it through our office.
After you complete the student application and are accepted into the program, you will need to indicate on your emergency contact form (#18) that you would like to purchase Student Health/Travel Insurance. You will then automatically receive an email quote for insurance, generally within 3-5 business days. Once you receive your quote, you will need to pay for your coverage through the provided link. Additional information and instructions will be provided when you receive your quote.
You will need to pay for your travel/health insurance prior to departing for study abroad, so you can receive your travel assist card to take with you.
If you have any questions about study abroad health/travel insurance, please contact Renee Camacho at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Study Abroad Office Available Services
- Advice on ways to work with your program advisors to have your course(s) articulated
- Pre-departure orientation, including health and safety measures, cultural and academic preparation, and strategies on adjusting to a new environment.
- Assistance to students to make an informed decision to participate in an independent program
- Does not authorize student’s travel
- Cannot guarantee the transfer of credit earned
- Will not provide students with financial support
For students who choose to participate in programs that are not listed as a Study Abroad Office program offering, staff will not facilitate third-party programs and activities such as providing information about Fresno State students, home institution approval, or nominations.