Skip to content

Financial Aid

CarolineStudying abroad can be as affordable as attending Fresno State, and students may be eligible to use financial aid to help cover the cost! You must be formally accepted into a study abroad program before aid eligibility can be determined, and the Study Abroad Office will notify Financial Aid of your study abroad participation.

How it works
The program type and length of the program are considered when evaluating financial aid for study abroad. In most cases, students do have a problem using their financial award for semester or year-long programs. Generally, federal financial aid (Pell Grant, loans) can be applied to semester-based programs, state aid (university or Cal grant) can be applied to programs to resident credit-based programs. Federal work-study cannot be applied to study abroad programs. Summer is also considered a special circumstance with limited financial aid. After all documents are submitted, the Study Abroad Office will notify the financial
aid office of all students going abroad.

The Financial Aid Office will then evaluate the students' study abroad program and determine financial aid eligibility and apply a budget adjustment if necessary.

Before going abroad
  1. Make sure you have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file.
  2. Make sure you are in good standing with the Fresno State Financial Aid Office.
  3. Sign up for direct deposit of financial aid.
  4. Work with the Study Abroad Office to ensure all required paperwork is completed by the stated deadline.